Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Opinions needed......

We just had the most hail i have ever seen in my life - it was SCARY. And now glorious sunshine. Huh.

I think i have a big decision to make and i'd be grateful for any feedback from anyone. Most of you know that my dream is to come back to the UK when heidi is school age or thereabouts and go off to Brighton University to finish my nursing and midwifery degree. By then i'll be almost 30 (!!!!!!!!) and will have been at home with the kids for the best part of 10 years so i reckon then will be a good time.

HOWEVER. Last night i was browsing the Brighton Uni website and looking at the course i want to do, and for my course to be fully funded, i have to have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the course start date. Which kind of means that either we a) leave NZ next year so i can get in my 3 years before heidi starts school, or b) we leave when heidi is ready to start school and then i have to wait until i'm 33 to start the course. ( Or c) i pay for it all myself. hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!)

Adrian swears blind they are only talking about people who aren't UK citizens but to my mind they mean everyone - do me a favour and read this link under "Am I Eligible To Apply?" and see what you think it means........answers on a postcard/email/comment please!!!!!

http://www.nhspa.gov.uk/sgu/FAQ/default.aspx

If i want to achieve my dream then it seems like a no-brainer and we move home next year. I never in a million years thought i would find it hard to come home, considering how much i loathed NZ when we first got here, it is my second home and i'm very fond of it now and we have some great friends around us. It's a bit of a shock, i always thought i'd be able to come home and do the course whenever. It's not an option for me to do the course here as most of it involves being on call, which isn't feasible with young kids. Hmmmmm.
Decisions, decisions...........

The pox is over at last and leah is back to school tomorrow, woohooooooooooo :)




As a postscript......I just got this email back from the NHS Bursaries place.....


"NHS Bursaries are available to worldwide applicants, as an indication, you must have been living in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the start of the academic year in which the course begins. You must be living in any UK country on the first day of the academic year of your course. "

Think that sums THAT up then. The decision is as big as i feared it would be.....eek. xxxx

2 comments:

vicki_f said...

Hello my love hope you are all ok and all the chıcken spots have gone. havıng a nıce tıme ın Turkey nıce to get some wınter sun.
hope you decıde what to do about your course dont fret too much ıt wıll all come rıght ın the end.

Carey said...

Hi!

I have to say I agree with you that it looks like you must have lived there for 3 years, but it does seem fair that if you are a UK citizen that doesn't matter. Have you called the admissions department?
I cant believe you are going back someday!!